The Jewish Historical Museum of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Serbia is the only museum in Serbia that preserves the legacy of Jews from the territory of the former Yugoslavia. It was established in 1948 within the framework of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Yugoslavia. The main task of the Museum upon its establishment was to collect as many as possible pre-war documents, photographs, objects and data on Yugoslav Jewry, in order to document their suffering in the WWII. A decade later, the Jewish Historical Museum was ready to open its first permanent exhibition.
The Jewish Historical Museum is located on the first floor of the building of the Jewish Community Belgrade, in the very center of the city. The building was designed in 1928 by the architect Samuel Sumbul, for the needs of the then Jewish Sephardic Community. As a remnant of those distant days there still stands near the top of the building a big inscription „The Home of the Jewish Religious-School Community“. On the second floor of the building is the Jewish Community Belgrade, and on the third the Federation of Jewish Communities of Serbia.