After the liberation of Sombor on 21st October 1944 the propaganda department of the Military Administration formed the Cultural–Educational board with the task to reopen the museum. Milan Konjović was in control of museum reconstruction, whereas his associates were János Herceg, the writer, and Stevan Jelovac, who took care of the collections. The ceremonial opening of the museum took place in Julij Lederer’s house on 27th October 1945.
The Museum is still in the same building. Milan Konjović was elected the director of the Museum. It was opened by Veljko Petrović, the poet. The opening exhibition was the collection of paintings by Yugoslav authors owned by Pavle Beljanski. Owing to staff recruitment, long–lasting collective work and the help of all employees, the Town Museum of Sombor became a cultural institution of museum preservation in the municipalities of Apatin, Odžaci, Kula and Sombor.