The Museum of Applied Art was founded in 1950 as a specialized art museum with an initial collection of some three thousand art pieces. During the years the collection has been inriched by aquasitions, and contributions by donor. Nowadays, the Museum holds more than 36.000 objects of applied art including pieces of great cultural and artistic value.
The Museum has a dynamic exhibition program, organizing exhibitions within the Salon of Contemporary Applied Art, annuall thematic study exhibitions as well as hosting domestic and foreign exhibitions. Within its four indipendently organized exhibition galleries the Musuem has options of displaying simultaneously, various artistic content. The permanent Museum exhibition Traces in Wood is a referential display in decorative technics of period furniture in Serbia.
The Museum cosists of 11 departments: Metalwork and Jewellery Department, Period Furniture Department, Textile and Costume Department, Photography and Print Room Department, Ceramics, Porcelain and Glass Department, Contemporary Applied Art Department, Architecture Department, Conservation Department, Central Documentation Department, Education Department, Public Relations Department, Library, MPUArt – Museum shop , MPU Coffee Club.
The building is located in the very heart of Belgrade, near the exclusive shopping street Knez Mihailova and it’s pedestrian zone that leads to the most popular tourist site in Belgrade, the Medieval fortress of Kalemegdan.
The Museum is situated in the building known as the Čelebonović Palace. It was built for the prominent descendant of the family attorney at law Dr Jakov Čelebonović. Based on his reputation and the fact that he was chairman of The Jewish Community, the Palace itself was at that time, the center of social life in Belgrade.