The Natural History Museum in Belgrade is one of the oldest Serbian national institutions. It was founded in 1895. It is the only museum of this type in Serbia, while the diversity and richness of the specimens and achieved results in museology and science make it one of the leading natural history museums in Southeastern Europe.
Presently, the temporary storage facilities house natural and cultural heritage including 120 biological and geological collections, with approximately over 1,5 million diverse specimens from Serbia, Balkan Peninsula, as well as from all over the world.
In respect of the number of specimens, the largest collections are: mineralogical, petrological, collections of fossil and recent mollusks, insects, birds, mammals, as well as the General Herbarium of the Balkan Peninsula.
The museum’s Gallery is situated within the park-monumental complex of Belgrade Fortress Kalemegdan, and it is the place for exhibitions, presentations, lectures and promotions.